Job Description: Director of Data Science
Location: Washington DC
Job Type: Full Time
Relocation Provided: No
New Frontier Data provides risk management solutions to investors, operators and policymakers in the cannabis industry via comprehensive data collection, rigorous analysis, and real time targeted business intelligence.
Founded in 2014, New Frontier Data is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
This DC-based cutting edge startup is currently looking to hire an experienced Data Scientist to support its analytics and data management initiatives. The position reports directly to the CTO and has the potential to grow into a senior level position.
The Director of Data Science will manage data ingestion needs, as well as aggregate, synthesize New Frontier’s large datasets from the Cannabis Industry to enhance our proprietary industry analytics and customized reporting.
The position will report directly to the CTO and CEO with career advancement opportunities to a C-level position.
The Director of Data Science will:
- Conceptualize, design and build data-fueled products to help the company improve our proprietary industry analytics and customized reporting in service to our diverse customer base.
- Work with cross-functional team members to identify and prioritize actionable, high-impact analyses across a variety of core industry areas
- Understand the information needs of industry stakeholders and work closely with the data team to ensure New Frontier has the necessary data to achieve the intended analysis and outcomes
- Develop expertise in cannabis industry data sets
- Assess New Frontier’s existing data, and identify potential data gaps
- Coordinate with the research team to identify and prioritize new data sources
- Develop ingestion and quality control protocols to ensure timely incorporation of all new datasets into New Frontier’s data platform equio
- Provide insight into leading analytic practices and identify ways to incorporate into New Frontier operations
- Produce new and creative analytic solutions that will become part of New Frontier’s core deliverables
- Research, design, implement, and validate leading-edge algorithms to analyze diverse data sources and achieve targeted outcomes
- Inspire the adoption of creative analytics and data solutions
- Work closely with our sales and marketing teams to help articulate the value and impact of the analytics to our stakeholder groups
- Ph.D. or Master’s Degree in operations research, applied statistics, data mining, machine learning, physics or a related quantitative discipline
- 5+ years of experience delivering world-class data science outcomes
- Deep understanding of statistical and predictive modeling concepts, machine- learning approaches, clustering and classification techniques, and recommendation and optimization algorithms
- Ability to solve complex analytical problems using quantitative approaches with your unique blend of analytical, mathematical and technical skills
- Passion for using large datasets to answer complex business problems, and unveil evolving industry trends
- Expertise analyzing large, complex multi-dimensional datasets with a variety of tools such as R, MATLAB, SAS or SPSS
- Experience with BI tools such as Tableau, Cognos or MicroStrategy
- Understanding of and experience managing relational databases NoSQL/JSON data formats
- Experience with Social Media analytics is a plus.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask
- Superior management skills
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team player
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management and staff
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Commensurate with experience
- Stock Incentive Plan
- Comprehensive benefits package
- No relocation package
Application Process: QUALIFIED CANDIDATES ONLY MAY APPLY