Potential Cannabis Job Creation for Native American Workers
- Native American unemployment rates are the highest among identified U.S. racial groups.
- At 8.5%, the Native American unemployment rate was more than twice that among whites (3.7%) and nearly double the 2017 U.S. average (4.4%) overall.
- Some tribes face chronic, systemic unemployment rates beyond 50%.
- Cannabis jobs on Native lands would be similar in skillset to other existing jobs being fulfilled by tribal members.
- A 5% market share would reduce the overall Native American unemployment rate from 8.5% to 8.0%.