Cannabis and the 2020 U.S. Election
- Five U.S. states next week have measures on their ballots about cannabis legalization.
- In an October 2019 Gallup poll, American adults reported continued supported of legalization by a 2-to-1 (66%) margin.
- Among political affiliations, nearly 3 among 4 (76%) of Democrats, 2 in 3 (68%) of independents, and 1 in 2 (51%) of Republicans favored legalization.
- In the 2016 U.S. presidential election, 42% of cannabis consumers voted for Clinton/Kaine (D), versus 31% voting for Trump/Pence (R).
- In a New Frontier Data survey anticipating next week’s elections, 53% of cannabis consumers reported support for Biden/Harris (D), versus 32% for Trump/Pence (R).