U.S. Medical Cannabis Patients
- In its first 11 months, Oklahoma’s medical-cannabis patient registration has outpaced the rates among all other legal states.
- Unlike in California’s statewide legal adult-use market, Oklahoma expects nearly full participation by its registrants due to much less access either to legal cannabis or illicit markets.
- While California has the U.S.’s highest patient-saturation rate, its legalized medical-market regulations and adult-use alternatives commonly serve to impede participation.
- California’s lack of patient participation is exacerbated by unreported activity in the state’s widespread illegal market.
- Among California’s 2 million card-holding patients, an estimated total of 1/5 use its legal licensed medical dispensaries.