2019 U.S. Cannabis Outlook
- Continued dramatic growth is expected for the legal cannabis industry in 2019.
- As of January 1, now 33 states plus the District of Columbia (D.C.) have legalized cannabis for medicinal use, with 10 states and D.C. permitting adult use.
- Medical-use sales are slated to begin in four states (Arkansas, Louisiana, North Dakota, and Ohio).
- Per the November 2018 midterm elections, plans proceed for medical-use sales starting by early 2020 in Missouri and Utah, along with adult-use sales in Michigan.
- U.S. sales of medical- and adult-use cannabis in 2019 are expected to reach $5.9 billion and $7.0 billion, respectively, up 28% (from $4.6 billion) and 21% (from $5.8 billion) from 2018.
- In 2019, the total number of registered U.S. medical cannabis patients is projected to reach 2.4 million, up 26% from 1.9 million patients in 2018.